Envisioning the Fretboard Whilst Playing

Hey!

When you’re playing scales nowadays (and especially playing over chord changes), do you see the actual note names in your mind as you’re playing them? Do you always keep the major scale in mind and then flatten or sharpen certain notes based on what the given mode calls for? Do you constantly keep intervals in mind and visualize them as plot points on the fretboard and every note you play is in reference to those intervals? Or did you just memorize every major scale mode shape in all directions starting on the E, A, D strings and your fingers do the work for the most part.

Where we stand, I know every note on the fretboard, I know how to play every mode shape on the E & A string, I know the intervals, I know the notes of every scale, I know what notes comprise each chord, but it still feels like it’s too much info to simultaneously process when trying to apply it to the caged system and when quickly transitioning chords.

I’m essentially trying to learn what mental shortcuts you use to pick apart the fretboard so quickly nowadays? Like what would you recommend learning like the back of my hand to help me simplify using this seemingly endless amount of info in my actual playing.

1 Like

Hello! Personally I see intervals before notes. As you’ll know from the CAGED Masterclass, I think about intervals in relation to the harmony, and combine that knowledge with scale shapes when I want to “play fast”. Let me try to address some questions:

“Do you always keep the major scale in mind and then flatten or sharpen certain notes based on what the given mode calls for?”

• Do you think about verbs, adjectives, and nouns, when you construct a sentence? I would think not. Similarly when I play, I think about the end result of what I’m trying to do – but I can only do that because I have the provisional knowledge of what “verbs, adjectives, and nouns” are. Once upon a time I would relate everything to the minor scale or minor pentatonic – otherwise I would feel blind! It’s a necessary stepping stone for us all, but eventually you will be able to build what you want immediately without needing to “step across the stones” every time you play.

“Do you constantly keep intervals in mind and visualize them as plot points on the fretboard and every note you play is in reference to those intervals?”

• Yes. I can only effectively visualise notes within a certain radius of my reference point. If I wish to navigate around the neck, I must adapt and continually move my reference point. My reference point is usually chord shapes (not just the root note), as taught in the CAGED Masterclass.

“It still feels like it’s too much info to simultaneously process”

• It’s tough for me to constructively comment without seeing you play. I’d recommend booking a Skype lesson if you tailored feedback because it’s tough for me to generalise the answer to this via text. I’ll also be filming a few more lessons that will be added to the CAGED Masterclass soon that will hopefully answer questions like this :blush:

“What would you recommend learning like the back of my hand to help me simplify using this seemingly endless amount of info in my actual playing.”

• The CAGED Masterclass :stuck_out_tongue: Truly. Are you able to improvise using triads, and call out each interval immediately as you play it? That’s a good start, but I’ll try to answer this better in a video lesson :sunglasses:
1 Like

Wow, what a thoughtful and helpful answer. Thank you so much for such detail and intricate guidance. I’m actually about to buy your music theory class and go over it as well over the next couple weeks. I looked into your skype sessions and will absolutely be scheduling my first lesson within the next month. Thanks so much Daryl, you’re the man!

1 Like

You’re most welcome! :smile: :raised_hands: :sunglasses:

I too was wondering about fretboard visualization. Regarding stuff like spread triads, memorizing the shapes of your favorites and executing them while playing or building them on the spot from pure note or interval visualization. This helps answer that.